Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Favorite Android Customization Apps

Lock Screen with Dashclock
and Hangout extension
Home Screen UCCW Widgets
and Tiny White Icon Pack


One of the many reasons I absolutely love Android is because it allows ridiculous amounts of customization!  After spending 5 years "learning" graphic design, I have of course developed a kind of obsession for neat layout and cool fonts.  Android's Google Play Store offers what they call "Launchers".  Launchers are applications that replace the stock interface or "UI" of your phone, with a more advanced one allowing new customization and basically giving you the freedom to make your phone look amazing.  I have received so many compliments on my home screen setup.  Now a Launcher is only your first step towards a great layout, but I'll kind of guide you through what all you will need.  And this is all without root.






The launcher I use is Nova Launcher Prime.  It's $4.00 I think. (Use those Google Rewards Credits!)  There is also a free version to try it out.  And I also use the Tesla Unread extension to show my unread email count.  I've sampled a few different launchers.  However I have not tried out Next Launcher 3d Shell which costs $16.99!  There is a free version though so maybe one day I'll give it a try.  I like the simplicity of Nova and how it is easy to use and offers a lot of great options.







Now on top of a Launcher you will need an app to make widgets with.  I myself use UCCW (free in the play store, but you really should donate because the app is fantastic!)  It takes a bit of time to learn how to use it, but once you do, the customization options are almost endless.  You can add any font from your Mac (using Android File Transfer) or PC too, which really has the potential to make your phone look great or "themed".  There are also a few pre made things to choose from.  You can also head over to mycolorscreen.com and possibly find some pre-made ones from the very creative community. You'll also be able to edit those and make your own.





If you don't really have the time (took me 3 hours, but I am a perfectionist!) or maybe you are intimidated to try and design an entire custom screen, then I advise using the Launcher "Themer".  It's in Beta still, but it allows you to use certain mycolorscreen layouts without having to make them yourself.  I tried out Themer and it wasn't very easy to change things around or add your own icons in..  I found it more satisfying to just start my own from scratch.  Themer is a really cool launcher, it just isn't my style I guess.






Finally the last thing you will need are icon packs.  You can find a lot of them in the Play Store.  My personal favorites are Stamped Purple (Also comes in other colors) and Tiny White Icon Pack.  This will allow you to change the icon of almost any app you have,  to match everything.





Also, If you would like a neater looking lock screen, I suggest enabling widgets on your lock screen and using the app "Dashclock"from the play store.  You can also add extensions to Dashclock which will really make your lock screen more useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment